So here is your morning wake up truth – you can meditate, anytime and anywhere! An ordinary situation or activity can offer the opportunity to strengthen and develop a calm mind without struggling.
Don’t be put off by what you read about meditation, yes it is a practiced art, but it’s as simple as just being present in a moment. The aim is just to quieten your mind and find a state of detachment, relaxation and peace.
Being mindful is healthy because you are bringing awareness fully where you are and what you are doing at any given moment. This opens you up to gratitude, appreciation for what you have now, and instead of being distracted by false thoughts (thinking about past or future), you are present enough to be objective and you will be surprised by ideas and insights that can appear in this frame of stillness.
You have the ability to direct your own thoughts; you have the option of observing things as they are, or of imagining them as you want them to be, and whichever option you choose, whether you are imagining or observing, is equally powerful – Abraham Hicks
So let’s get started.
Good morning wherever you may be!
The sun may be shinning or the cloudy sky, or pouring rain may be adust, and both are perfect for being present.
It’s a new day to start over, give yourself some time to just Be.
- When you wake up in the morning be aware of your thoughts. Allow them to come in and out of your mind by observing them, then let them go….
- Continue being aware of your thoughts when you do your morning ritual like brushing your teeth, showering and getting dressed.
- Make a cup of coffee ( or tea or juice).
- Find a quiet place to sit – whether on your porch, sitting outside as the sun rises, in bed, camping spot etc
- Focus your attention on drinking your coffee and observe where you are right now.
- Feel the warmth of your drink on your lips, and going down your throat.Be aware of how it tastes. What comes to mind that makes you feel gratitude?
- Feel the pleasure it gives you as you drink. I like to view it like liquid gold, like it’s a privilege to have such a drink. Like a sacred ritual.
- If a thought distracts you from enjoying your coffee, put your focus back on the pleasure it gives you by the taste and feel of it.
- Be aware of not rushing to finish your tea or coffee.
- Stay present as you drink what is left of it.
- Take a moment to hold your finished cup of coffee, feeling the appreciation and gratitude of it as a gift to being alive.
- Put your cup down and begin your day with the mindfulness you feel being in the present.