So my blog is called Confessions of a Clairsentient, and so it is only apt that I try to find words to describe this energetic operating system one is born with or develops. I still find it difficult to put into words what I feel sometimes, but try to do my best here and present information that resonates from my personal experiences. But each person is different.
Clairsentience (clear-feeling) is one of the most common and down to earth intuitive gifts that you can develop, yet complex as the same time. It is a sixth sense, so to speak, and means the ability to “feel”, or “know”, and interpret the feelings or energy around you to divine emotions and other energy vibes from people, places, spirits, animals or anything really that contains energy. Empathy and Clairsentience could also be grouped together in the spectrum of intuitive gifts, which relate to feeling or sensing the emotions and energies of the world around them.
Clairsentience is a broadened form of Empathy, which encompasses a wider field of sensitivities and has quite a lot in common with intuition, because it a strong awareness that you feel inside yourself about the subject you are concentrating on or connect with. I should add, that you don’t always need physical contact to connect with energy. It can also be the most challenging, because sometimes you will feel things, yet it is difficult to put into words what you pick up and why.
To feel, as in Clairsentience, requires recognition, acceptance, and it takes commitment to learn the skills to manage the range of energy experiences you perceive.
Depending on your sensitivity or gifts, the following are some traits of being Clairsentient;
- A “feeling” of being different will probably have been with you from early childhood – you may also have been able to see and hear in a way others could not or viewed the world around you differently.
- You can be emotionally attached to someone, even at a distance you can ‘feel’ them (dreams, random thoughts, flashes of insight etc). This can happen even if you are no longer associated with them. Even if you don’t want to be a part of it, you will still feel connected, and so you may need to take steps to disconnect the spiritual/etheric cord.
- If you were misunderstood as a child you are likely to have been told that you “shouldn’t” feel that way or that you are “imagining” things.
- You may have been a target/blamed or made to feel responsible for other people’s problems, including authority figures, primary carers, teachers or siblings. In adolescence this could progress to friends, work colleagues or partners. Perhaps you were used or are used, as a soft target practice!
- A continuing pattern of “others” not understanding and or saying there must be something wrong with you because they do not “feel” that way. That you are just being “too sensitive”.
- Able to perceive energy fields (through physical sensations), including a person’s aura and vibrations (such as voice and how words are strung together). Ever heard someone talk and their words just sing or lull you?!
- Not knowing how you know but “knowing” anyway, things others do not seem to know or understand.
- Feeling guilty and responsible for other people’s happiness.
- Choosing to stay in situations for the sake of “others” even at your own detriment. Usually it will be for emotional rather than financial reasons.
- Always giving others the benefit of the doubt whilst failing to see your own “goodness”.
- Having an inner knowing that you are the “stronger” person even though you are accused of being over sensitive, emotional, irrational and imagining things that do not exist.
- You can sense the presence of spirits, but you don’t understand what you’re feeling, except you know you feel a strange energy.
- You are highly sensitive to your surroundings and they can affect your emotions. Large crowds and events can make you physically feel ill (perhaps you will feel nauseous, get headaches etc).
- If earlier difficulties existed you may have a deep fear of confrontational situations. You will have probably unconsciously developed some level of coping strategies to avoid these but having to face a situation can cause great anxiety. This will be at a level of feeling very vulnerable and helpless, whilst manifesting physical symptoms of heart palpitations, nausea, frozen fear; this will be followed by a period of time trying to calm yourself while pent-up energy rushes through your body. This may seem to others an inappropriate or exaggerated response to what appears a fairly ordinary exchange or minor problem.
- You go to other people’s homes or even meeting somewhere in a workplace and your emotions may change. You may even attribute it to not liking the people, but have no definitive reason why.
- You may serve as a “host” to another person(s); whilst supplying their “being” with energy will make you feel and appear the weaker person, the other person(s) strength can depend on “you” as an energy source. You may not recognise this yourself, however erratic and depleted energy is a symptom.
- You think of someone who is not around you, and you inexplicably know how they are feeling and sometimes know if something good or bad is going to happen or has happened, but you don’t know why.
- You have an ability to heal others. You can talk to them in person or even over the phone and they feel better, but you could feel worse.
- Sometimes you can feel others physical pain and take on that pain.
Clairsentience usually falls into one of three categories: Gut feelings, Empathy and Physical sensations (of which I get all of).
A strong emotional response that can feel physical (feeling of dread or excitment) and it good to sense if you like or trust someone.
A sinking or sick feeling in my gut means that something is not going to go well or is to be avoided. A light fluttery (yes butterflies sometimes), excited feeling means that I am on the right track. Gut feelings allow you to sense very quickly whether or not you like and trust someone. Over time you will learn what it means for you.
One of my biggest part of my gift. Some of us find that we have been able to do this from a young age. Sometimes a quick glance is enough or their physical prescence in order to pick up on the feelings of other people and know what it is like to be another person. Empathy is a hard gift to manage initially – whilst you can put yourself in other peoples’ shoes you can succumb to being a sponge – absorbing and feeling emotions which aren’t your own. Do you ever experience overwhelming negative feelings which seem to have no cause? Then you could be feeling someone else’s feelings.
Here are some traits of Empaths:
- Your emotions get out of control (anxious, panicky, frustrated) in crowds, even though you may want to be there or at an event, you end up being drained.
- People seek you out, they like being around you and even if they have just met you, they will tell you about their problems and issues (you will do all the listening and giving of attention
- You have a need to make people feel better and do your best to, you also just know what people need to hear to feel better about themselves or situation
- You have difficulty expressing your own emotions and prefer to focus on someone else (SO TRUE!!)
- You explain away others bad treatment of you, thinking they needed you on some level, and have to accept it
- You need to help and heal others, and you will sacrifice yourself to do so
- Nature and animals make you happy and give you peace and comfort – you covet it.
Clairsentience also speaks to you through sensations in your body – like tickling or pressure or pain. I have found that certain images, words or even sound can have an effect on the body. Those who are more sensitive may not be able to view some visual images on television for example, because they feel physical pain (for example I get a sharp painful stabbing sensation, or shock through my entire body, it’s not pleasant! and cannot imagine good for the body).
Occassionally, whenever I am tuning into spirit or connecting with someone else when tuned in on a spiritual or active level, I get a strong warm tingling or prickling sensation on one side (usually right) of my head.
Exercises to develop your Clairsentience
One on One Practice
Ask a friend to show you a picture of somebody they know well (but make sure you don’t know the person in the picture). Look into the person’s eyes and tune into their energy – how do they feel at the moment of the photo being taken? If this is the first time you have consciously used your clairsentience, you may just pick up on a basic negative or positive vibe.
Ask yourself what this individual is like as a person. Ask yourself whether you trust the person. Is there anything else the person’s eyes are revealing?
Check with your friend – how accurate were you?
Practice in a Busy Place
The easiest place to do this is somewhere public. A coffee shop is a great place to start. Take a seat somewhere that you are less likely to be disturbed but still have full view of the comings and goings. Start by choosing a staff member. Focusing on them, just open up and imagine what you think they are feeling. Are they enjoying their day, or are they feeling frazzled and tired. Do you imagine that this is their only job, do they have children, are they studying at University, do they have a marriage or relationship, are they social or private people, shy or outgoing, and so on. Just explore who they are. Make sure you are using your imagination and that you aren’t pressuring yourself or second guessing what you come up with. Practice this regularly, and you will see a definite improvement in your ability to tap in to people. Make sure that each time you do this exercise, you complete the session with these cleansing practices and then ground.
The traits and tools I apply to nurture my Clairsentience
- embrace imagination and visualisation
- embrace and explore your senses
- be curious! notice things
- open your heart
- trust flashes of insight or images (even if you don’t understand) -write them down
- get plenty of rest and time alone to recharge
- get sunshine and space in nature to reground
- practice cleansing your energy